About The Book
The Secrets of Mary Magdalene
Who was Mary Magdalene? Why are we so fascinated by her?
From her portrayal in the paintings of Leonardo and Picasso, the films of Scorcese, Disney, DeMille and Gibson, and the pop music lyrics of U2, Andrew Lloyd Weber, and Tori Amos;
from her role as a mythic archetype representing womanhood to new revelations about her historical character; from debate about her in the mainstream Catholic church to the invocation of her spirit in wicca and new age ceremonies, the Mary Magdalene story is a Rorschach test for our own modern beliefs
about women, spirituality,
faith, sexuality, the Bible, history, gender politics, and religion.
From Dan Burstein and Arne J. de Keijzer, co-editors of the New York Times bestsellers Secrets of the Code and Secrets of Angels & Demons, comes the newest release in the Secrets Series, Secrets of Mary Magdalene. Contributors include the world's leading experts in religious scholarship as well as icons of today's popular culture. Together, they demystify the woman who lies at the heart of the controversy re-ignited by Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code. Find out more by viewing the Table of Contents, reading the Introduction by Elaine Pagels, an interview with Dan Burstein about the book by Bookreporter.com, and by watching the trailer for the Hidden Treasures video documentary.
- How and why Mary Magdalene plays such a powerful role in today's popular culture and New Age thinking
- Why scholars believe her role and significance may have been deliberately suppressed, and her image tarnished, to serve the purposes of an evolving Roman-controlled Church
- Why Mary Magdalene is interpreted as a symbol of the sacred feminine
- The discovery of the Gnostic Gospels and their revelations concerning Mary Magdalene
- The critical role of Mary Magdalene in the development of early Christianity
- How her image has been portrayed in art and culture, including an eighteen-page color portfolio